- Founded in 1674 by Baron Claes Rålamb, Stockholms Auktionsverk is the oldest auction house still in business.
- Candles were used in the 1700s at auctions to declare the winner. If you were the highest bidder at the time when the candle extinguished itself, you won the auction.
- In the mid-1700s, auctions were commonly held in taverns. Elaborate and detailed catalogs for works of art were considered art themselves.
- America’s first president, George Washington, was an avid auction buyer.
- Jones’ National School of Auctioneering and Oratory was the first American auction school and was established in Davenport, Iowa, in 1906.
At Hammer and Tongues Auctioneers we are continuing with the tradition of providing vehicles, goods and everything for the discerning bidder. Visit our website at http://www.hammerandtonguesauctioneers.co.zw